Not sure I’m going to post the back story on this project. I’m too far into it. In fact I am near the end and deciding whether it will be worthwhile to finish, finish and donate, or trash as simply finished as useful muslin.
I used 2 strands of 2/24 acrylic in a very lovely aqua blue pattern. Since I had not machine knit in a year, and didn’t do much that year, I chose a simple pattern, a raglan of 4 pieces and ribbings. After several attempts I stopped where I am now: 4 pieces of slip stitch without ribbings. I was rather horrified by the final appearance. I have a gross mistake on one of the sleeves a minor mistake on the other. The yokes, that area between neckline and armscye are rather disastrous. Front and back are the same length and both are 4.5″ too short. The sleeves were neither the same length, nor finished with the same number of stitches. I raveled back one so it contains the same number of stitches as the other and happily that also made them the same length. However that turns about to be more like 6″ too short. Thy are are not an even -length with the front and back.
I am reluctant to knit this yarn a 3rd time. Acrylic loses its bounce with multiple knittings especially since it has been steamed twice. I decided before throwing it away, I wanted to know how close to fitting the garment pattern is. I basted the pieces together easing the sleeve armscyes to the body armscyes and then took pics.
So a good thing is that the overall length (that is after the yoke would be filled in with about 4″) will be right
It needs the 1″ hem and sleeve ribbings to be spot on. Not a bad thing l since I planned and knit intendening on making 1″ ribbings.
However we can already see there isn’t enough tummy room. Definitely surprising given that butt room is adequate. Both pieces are knit and steamed to the same dimensions. I stacked them on top of each other to be sure.
Looking at the back, I think that although I have had problems with fitting while sewing raglan tops, a machine knit raglan adapts pretty nicely to sloping shoulders. But still needs help with the asymmetry. Note that all the diagonal drag lines are on the right, my lower shoulder. (I’ll examine the horizontal drag lines in later.)
I’m not really sure I need more room at the bust. It may not be readily apparent but the sleeves are too close i.e. tight. While I’m not experiencing binding or restrictive movement, they would be better for long johns, underwear; rather than an outerwear blouse — which this was intended to be. The tightness, horizontal drag lines, I see at the bust may be from the tightness of the sleeve. Which is a quandary for me. Even machine knitting, it takes a long time for me to knit a garment. Do I want to take a chance on adding circumference to the sleeve and not the garment? Or do I want to add to both and the body of the garment be too loose? Part of the beauty of knitting your own garment is that you can control the shaping and ease to make your personal most flattering knit garment. But, it involves making choices like this.
The side view emphasizes how the horizontal drag lines are all pointing to the underarm area. Which reinforces my opinion that the sleeve has inadequate circumference.
I adapted this pattern from a very old hand-knitted, summer style. I thought only to lengthen the sleeves. I never thought about the neckline being summer-time, sun worshiping low. The neckline as written, makes sense for that season. What I’m saying is I understand this was my error. Maybe I should have looked further into my collection for a long-sleeved raglan.
Well it is what it is. ATM I’m more inclined to correction the dimensions and knit another. However, I don’t want to make more swatches; and I’m tired of this particular color. Guess it is time to pull the yarn storage down and take a good look at what I have to use. Hey it will give me some time to think about what changes to make.